Monday, November 2, 2009

I got $130 worth of groceries for $60




"How?!" you ask, "How did you accomplish this? Tell me!" Well, my friends, I will. Coupons. Coupons and weekly sales. I bought off-brands, stacked sales with manufacturer's coupons, and was able to create meals from what I found on sale. I didn't pay full price on anything. Most people don't clip coupons these days, and if they do, they're ashamed of it. Clipping coupons, buying the store brand, and settling for meals created from what's on sale, rather than creating a menu and then shopping for it is seen as inferior. Well, I have a new idea and I think we should embrace it. Here it is: let's not give our money away anymore!

Now, I know that this is hard for some people to wrap their heads around, but stay with me. Just because something costs more does not necessarily make it better. Does that surprise you? Well, I'll tell you a secret. It surprised me a little too. I mean, we all know that that store- and off-brands are cheaper because they are inferior, right? I mean, that's why they're cheaper. I hate to break it to you, folks, but this myth is perpetuated by the producers of name brand items. If they make you believe that the store brands are the lesser brands, then you'll shell out the money to pay for theirs. Full price usually, too. But take a look at the ingredient list for a Western Family Skillet Meal (Cheesy Shells) versus Hamburger Helper Cheesy Shells. I think you'll be surprised.

Western Family
Serving Size 1/2 cup mix (41g)
Servings per container 5

Amount per Serving as packaged as prepared
Calories 160 320
Calories from Fat 40 120
____________________________________________________________
% Daily Value**
Total Fat 4.5g* 7% 22%
Saturated Fat 1.5g 8% 27%
Trans Fat 1.5g
Cholesterol less than 5mg1% 19%
Sodium 760mg 32% 34%
Total Carbs 26g 9% 10%
Dietary Fiver 1g 5% 5%
Sugars 1g
Protein 4g
____________________________________________________________
Vitamin A 0% 2%
Vitamin C 0% 0%
Calcium 2% 8%
Iron 6% 15%
Folic Acid 15% 15%

*Amount in Package
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie Diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your caloric needs


Hamburger Helper

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1/2 cup (41.0 g)

Amount Per Serving
Calories
150
Calories from Fat
18
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
2.0g
3%
Saturated Fat
0.5g
3%
Cholesterol
5mg
2%
Sodium
710mg
30%
Total Carbohydrates
29.0g
10%
Dietary Fiber
1.0g
4%
Sugars
3.0g
Protein
4.0g

Vitamin A 0%Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 2%Iron 4%
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet



Now you can see that the differences are negligible. But the price difference isn't. Hamburger Helper meals cost anywhere from $2.50 to $3.00 whereas Western Family Skillet Meals are $.95 a piece. Now, I know that doesn't seem like a very big difference, but in the long scheme, those dollars add up. And the reason for the price difference? Packaging. The name brands spend more money on flashy packaging, whereas store- and off-brands don't. Therefore they can offer the same product for less cost. Now doesn't that seem like a difference you can buy into?

Tell me what you save money on by leaving me a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment