Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Peter, Peter, Pumpkin SOUP Eater

Tonight I used my pumpkin puree, and I didn't make pie. I made pumpkin soup. And it was actually pretty good. I made dinner for the two of us for only a few dollars each. The pumpkin cost me $1.50, and all the ingredients were about $5.00, so for $6.50 total, I fed my little family for two days. The potatoes that went into it were 3 lbs for $1.00, and the cream cheese was .50, and the half-and-half was a few dollars. Add a loaf of bread, and you have dinner! Please enjoy my own recipe for pumpkin soup below and enjoy it on a cold night. There are a few of them coming up soon!

60 oz pumpkin puree (2 cans 30 oz each)
28 oz chicken broth (2 cans 14 oz each)
1 8 oz package cream cheese
2 cups half-and-half
2 T garlic powder
1/2 cup dried onion
1 t red basil
salt to taste
3 t cornstarch with 1 T cold water
Four large potatoes cut into small cubes
dollop of sour cream and parsley to garnish

Whisk puree and broth together over low heat. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Add the half-and-half and whisk. Heat until warm. Add garlic powder, dried onion, red basil, salt, and cornstarch and stir well. Stir in potato cubes and heat over low heat until the potatoes are soft. Ladle into bowls and spoon a dollop of sour cream on top with some sprinkles of parsley on top. Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment