Monday, November 30, 2009

Five Reasons Why You Should Ride the Bus

“Riding the bus? Like, ew.” Okay, so most people don't actually talk about it like that, but you can't deny there is a stigma to riding the bus. That's for people who don't own cars, or can't drive because they don't have licenses because they're hobos or they live under a bridge or something. But honestly, I ride the bus (and as far as I know, I'm not a hobo and I don't live under brdige) and it's been a good experience for me. I've met some, umm, interesting people on the bus, and I don't have to find a parking spot, which for me equals victory. So, courtesy of personal experience, here are the five reasons why I believe riding the bus is a good idea:

1.You don't have to wait for your car to warm up in the morning
I've gotten this down to a science. I leave the house approximately 3 minutes before my bus comes and by the time I get to the stop, it's rounding the corner down the block. I don't even have time to feel the wind come through my coat since I've been walking and then it's onto the already warm and toasty bus. Sure, the seats aren't leather, but you don't have to scrape any window.

2.You don't have to stress about morning traffic
If you head to school or work in the morning when everyone else does, you will more than likely encounter morning traffic. People shaving as they drive, or using their legs to steer while they apply mascara and talk on the phone (you know who you are). By the time you get to work, you can feel the tightness in your chest that inevitably comes with stress. You run in, usually late, and by the time you get to your desk or class, you're out of breathe and anxious. And that's almost as bad a start to the day as skipping breakfast.

3.If you're late, it's not your fault as long as you didn't miss the bus
Let's face it; these people drive for a living. They're pretty good at it. And, barring some sort of accident (which can happen and in the case of one of them, they have detours memorized) you're not likely to be late. And, if you are late, you can tell them you got on the bus a half an hour before you had to be at work, and the bus was late. Things are good when they're not your fault.

4.You don't have to drive
You can sit back and listen to music, or read a book, or take a nap, or watch the houses go by. The sky's the limit—but be aware and don't miss your stop! If you do, #3 won't work for you.

5.You decrease your geological footprint
By riding public transportation (which drives around anyway) you're using less gas, which creates less pollution, thereby decreasing the negative effects on our environment. And you save money by not having to pay for parking permits, speeding tickets, and gas. And really, saving money is what us Frugal Fannies are all about, is it not?

So, there you have it. Straight from the commuter's mouth. I ride the bus and I enjoy it. Just be careful that it doesn't relax you too much cause then you'll miss your stop. And that's not good for your stress levels either. Take it from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment