Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Easy-On-the-Wallet Beauty Care: Part One

I don't know about you, but I really enjoy looking pretty. Nothing helps my self-confidence more. And what's more, I enjoy looking pretty while keeping my wallet nice and full. You don't have to spend your whole paycheck in order to feel the confidence when you step out the door, and what's better than having smooth skin to put your new found bargain finds on? So I'm going to tell you how I keep my skin glowing and flawless, especially in winter.

1. Exfoliator
Exfoliating your skin on a regular basis is essential for keeping your skin polished an
d healthy, especially when the weather turns cold. I like some of the store bought brands, but the thing that I really love is homemade. You take a 1/4 cup brown sugar and add about 2 teaspoons of olive oil to it. Mix it until it forms a dry paste. Rub on your skin anywhere you want to slough off dead skin. I use it on my hands (they get terribly dry and nasty in the winter), on my elbows, and especially on my face. When you use it on your body, I recommend doing it in the shower. If you use this on your face, take care not to scrub too hard. Rub on your t-zone and your chin until you feel like you've done enough. A lot of people will tell you that oil is bad for your skin; however, oil is actually good for your skin, and if it doesn't have enough it will overproduce in order to moisturize, so it's important to keep it nice and moisturized. Wash lightly with water and your favorite face wash.


2. A Humidifier

I know it sounds pretty dumb, but seriously, a humidifier can be the one of the best tools in your arsenal to combat dry, winter skin. If you don't, or can't, have one hooked right onto your furnace, then I recommend a small independently standing humidifier. You can get a good one for about $30 if you keep an eye on sales at your local grocery store. They're hot commodities this time of year, so there are bound to be sales. The moisture from a humidifier can help keep your skin moist and prevent over-drying. It can also help with winter-time congestion and colds, so really it's a must have for winter skin care. If you need help deciding which kind of humidifier is right for you, a cold mist or a warm mist, click here to read the differences.

3. Facial Moisturizer
The facial moisturizer I really enjoy that I've found to go a long way and is not too heavy is the Biore: Overnight Moisturizer Hard Day's Night, 1.7 fl oz™. You can get it at any grocery store or Walmart or Walgreen's for about $14.00 and a pump is enough to cover your face and neck and since I have really sensitive skin, I can recommend this because it's never made me break out. I bought my bottle about 9 months ago and it's still going strong. I alternate every other night the Biore with Clean and Clear Advantage Oil-Free Acne Moisturizer 4 oz and I find that the change keeps my pore nice and clear. The clean and clear can be found at any grocery store, or Walmart or Walgreen's and is about $13.00. I bought my latest at the same time as the Biore and we're still going strong, so I feel like it's a great bargain.




4. Hand Cream

Have you ever had your hand crack and be just plain unattractive and painful in the winter? If you have sensitive skin like I do, these cold temperatures can be hazardous to the health of your hands. After
exfoliating with the recipe listed above, I rub my hands and elbows down with Nivea Creme, a moisturizing cream that I just love. Generally I'm not a huge fan of products with mineral oil in them, but this one has proven effective. I have had my tub about 4 years and I still have plenty to get me through this winter. You can find it at Walmart for about $6.00, and boy, do you get bang for your buck!

5. Lip Salve

We all love Carmex
, but sometimes it's just not that appealing. What I love for my winter lip care (actually all year long) is Softlips. My absolute favorite is Softlip Pearl because it's an awesome lip salve that just recently came out. It has an SPF of 15 and runs about $3.00. And, the big bonus? It's tinted. So it really hydrates your lips while making you look like you're a blushing beauty with creamy rose lips. Right now, it's exclusively selling at Target stores and you can get it in a promotional two pack with my other favorite, Vanilla, right now.


So those are my skin care secrets that will keep you looking fresh and rosy without breaking the bank this winter. Keep an eye out for my next post and as always, follow me, tell your friends, and send any questions you have to financialfixutah@gmail.com!

1 comment: