Saturday, August 1, 2009

Let them eat . . . leftovers?

So, the other night I was looking through my fridge, trying to decide what to make for dinner, and I didn't see a whole lot. Or, at least, I thought I didn't. I was tempted -- and I mean sorely tempted -- to order in, or go to my parents for free food, or run to the store to get something to make dinner. But, that's not how you save money. That's how you spend money, and usually more than you meant to. I was hungry. Being hungry + going grocery shopping = spending more than you have in the bank. And that is a recipe for disaster. So, I decided to make it work.
Speaking of recipes, did you know that you don't always have to have one? Or at the very least, not follow it explicitely? There are a few elementary rules to creating your own culinary masterpieces.
First: Less is more.
Now, I know there's a heady excitement to breaking out of the box, and creating something that is all yours, and with that comes the tendency to over season. Then you're stuck with something that started off a soup and ended up as a solid stroganoff that tasted strongly of dill and cilantro, not that I know that from experience.
Second: a homemade recipe is like an art project; you have to know when it's perfect, and let it be done.
When you're finishing up that art project and the bowl of fruit looks realistic and edible, you feel so excited that you just keep adding and adding to it, trying to make it even more perfect, and suddenly, it's too much and ruined. The same can be said for culinary experiments. You have to know when to stop.
Third: a few basics can create an amazing meal.
Knowing how to create a roux (pronounced "roo") is invaluable. A roux* is a mixture of flour and fat used to thicken a sauce or soup. A roux can be the basis of a delicious white sauce, gravies, or even a stew. Also worth knowing, is how to mix up some marinades. They can turn a blah piece of meat into something amazing.
So, this brings me back to standing in front of my fridge. I remembered that I had some carrots and celery I'd gotten halfprice from Sunflower, a local farmers' market, and a crook-neck squash that my mother-in-law gave me from her garden. I also remembered that we had some steaks in the freezer from a birthday dinner we needed to use up. So, I whipped up a teriyaki marinade for the cubed meat, sauteed the vegetables, stirred it all together, and voila! Stirfry. Add some sticky rice, and you've got a great meal for the next two days. Making more than you need is a great idea, because then you only have to cook a couple of times a week. Freezing the extras can make your month easier. And let's face it; who couldn't use an easer month?
*Recipe for Roux:
Equal parts flour & butter. Melt butter, add flour, and stir until browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment